Pest Infestations and How to Avoid Them
It’s that time of year again, where the Winter thaws away and we come out of hibernation with renewed motivation to clear out the garage and clean our homes from top to bottom. Yet, while Spring cleaning can be an incredibly satisfying practice where we can open all of the windows and clear out the clutter from our lives, it can be also be a stressful time as we stumble across pet infestations in and around our home.
Pests are a natural part life and as the temperature rises out of the 50’s and 60’s, spiders, ants, roaches, grain beetles and insects of all varieties flourish and thrive. While this is great for our parks and gardens, pests can wreak havoc on our homes.
When you move boxes out of corners where they have sat all winter, or clean your pantry, you may find evidence of a pest infestation. Do not worry, there are ways you can get rid of pests and minimize the potential of pest infestations in the future. First, contact a professional pest control company to handle the pest removal.
You can follow these steps to reduce the likelihood that pests make a nest in your home:
- Clean your air-vents regularly and keep them running to ensure that they do not become cold dark nooks for pests to live in
- Clean your pantry regularly and make sure not to leave unsealed products in there for extended periods of time, especially grains and sugars!
- Inspect food thoroughly before introducing them to your pantry. Rice, flour, and raw foods are the main targets for pests and they can find their way into packaging
- Dust your home regularly, especially corners and window sills to ensure that insects like spiders are not spinning webs there
- Inspect your walls, vents, and windows for cracks, holes, gaps and other breaches
- Mop and wipe surfaces down regularly to limit crumbs and food attracting pests
Schedule routine pest control visits
Having routine check ups from pest control and removal is the best way to ensure that your home isn’t overrun with unwanted pests and insects.
Having Pest Problems?
If you’re experiencing issues with a pest, contact our team of experienced pest management experts. We can evaluate your situation and execute a strategy to keep you safe and protected from unwanted pests.